In this blog post, I will show you how to make lined curtains for your house. You can use quilters cotton, linen, upholstery fabric. 🙂
* This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission at no cost to you, if you purchase using the links. *
How to Calculate the Fabric you will need.
1) You will measure the space you will need the curtains need to cover.
Example: 30 inch wide x 45 inch length space.
2) For curtains, you will multiply the width needed by 1.5-2 to create the folds in the curtain. I usually multiply by 1.5.
Example: 30 inch x 1.5= 45 inches.
3) Divide width by 2 to create two panels.
Example 45 /2=22.5 + 1 inch. (We use a half inch seam allowance on both sides)= 23.5 inches
For Curtain Fabric: 23.5 inches
For Lining Fabric: 22.5 inches ( Lining fabric is slightly smaller than curtain fabric)
4) For the length, You will have have a hem for the curtain and smaller hem for the lining. For drapes, a 4 inch hem is typical. Smaller for smaller windows.
Example: 45 inch length + 6 inches+ 1 inch seam allowance (For 3 inch heme)= 52 inch length
Lining: 45 inches+4 inches+1 inch= 50 inch length for lining
Now, you will cut out the fabric. Keep in mind if you have directional fabric… Length goes along the grainline!
Example: You will cut 2 of 23.5 inch x 52 inch Curtain fabric, 2 of 22.5 inch x 50 inch lining fabric.
5) Now, You will need tabs for the curtains. Of the curtain fabric. Measure the curtain rod and how long you want the tabs to be. Approximately 5 inches for basic curtain rods.
Of Curtain fabric, cut 10 2 inch x 5 inch strips.
Now, iron the fabric. Make the hem for the curtain and lining fabric by folding the hem and pressing the hem in place. Sew.
Now, with right sides together. Sew the sides of the curtains together at ½ inch seam allowance. This will pull the curtain fabric slightly turned toward the back. Press this flat with an iron.
Now, create the straps. This is where a bobby pin comes in handy!
Sew the straps. Fold them in half with right sides together. Sew at 1 inch or smaller.
Cut a notch at one end of the strap just to the stitch line. Place the bobby pin on the notch as shown in Image.
Now, you will slide the bobby pin through the strap and pull. Those are the straps.
Place the straps on the curtains by folding them into a loop and sandwiching them between the fabric with right sides together. The edge of the loop should be slightly sticking out of the top of the curtains. One at each edge, middle point, and centered between mid-points and end. Sew across the top edge of the curtains.
Now flip the curtains to right side of fabric showing. Congrats, you are done! 🙂